Monday 2 February 2015

Why I Won't Need a Disguise in Gwalchmai....

I hope that everyone who has read the Oval Ways and Treble Days book will have noticed I have not really criticised any club or individual in it. One of my goals from the very start of the writing process was to ensure that I concentrated on the team’s great success during the 2012/13 season, and the way the management team and committee worked together to achieve our goals. In short, I was determined to keep the emphasis on the positives.
I did, however, want to make it an honest and realistic account of the season and so was not shy in making less than complimentary observations when I felt they warranted inclusion. One of those concerned Gwalchmai manager Paul Owen, and his antics on the touchline when we played them at the beginning of the season. Here’s the main passage concerning the match:
Gwalchmai 2 – 5 Caernarfon Town. August 21st 2012. 
I had enjoyed my two previous visits to Gwalchmai’s Maes Meurig ground, as there had been a pretty good atmosphere on both occasions. Whilst Town had lost there in August 2010, Steve Smith’s side had triumphed 6-3 at the ground in the first match of the 2011/12 season. One of my closest friends, Ian Williams, lives just a stones’ throw away from the pitch, and therefore it was also a good opportunity to catch up with him although I’m not too sure how he felt about standing with a Caernarfon Town supporter in front of the always vociferous home support!
I had noticed during previous matches with Gwalchmai that their manager, Paul Owen, was pretty animated on the touchline and something he was particularly fond of referring to during the action was that the Caernarfon players were playing for money whilst his own team were playing solely for the club. He had enjoyed repeating this mantra throughout the matches, whilst also engaging in a mock ‘handing out money’ gesture, which I found both mildly disappointing and amusing at the same time. Owen has been at the club a long time and is obviously doing a great job there but it goes without saying that his assertions about our players added a certain spice to the encounter!
Caernarfon were excellent on the night and deservedly triumphed 5-2. Due to family commitments, the manager and his assistant, Nigel Barry, could not attend the match, and so Reserve manager Dave Cavanagh and Warren Gibbs took charge of the side, whilst Paul Roberts and Dylan Roberts made their first team debuts.
Town dominated the match from the off and raced into a 4-0 lead, through goals by Kevin Lloyd, Paul Roberts, Neil Thomas and a Sinclair own goal. The home side rallied in the second period and halved the deficit with two well taken goals. However, Gavin Jones made sure of the points when he finished smartly two minutes from the final whistle.
This had been the side’s best performance of the season so far and the signs were good that the players were beginning to gel. Despite Gwalchmai’s fightback in the second half I felt confident throughout that the points would be heading back to the Oval and was pleased to be proved right. The players showed plenty of talent and application against a tough side and in front of a vociferous crowd and showed to me at least that Gwalchmai were not the only side to be playing for their club, despite what was being said on the touchline!

I mention Paul's gestures again later in the book, referring to it as a sideshow. The point being made is pretty clear and I think it’s fair to say that, as far as honest observations and criticisms are concerned, this was pretty tame. However, I had still been unsure about including my comments on the Gwalchmai manager as I did not want to upset him and only decided to do so because I felt it was true to how I felt and, just as importantly, there was little chance of him reading the book.
How wrong I was!    
I started worrying when Daily Post reporter Dave Jones mentioned the book on his facebook page and Paul asked him where he could get himself a copy. After my initial discomfort I then heard nothing for a few weeks until I received a message from a friend telling me that Paul had contacted him to ask where he could buy the book! Paul then duly contacted me and bought his copy. I thanked him for the sale, decided against telling him he is in it, and kept my head down!
I felt sure a he would get back to me to discuss my comments and sure enough he did! Last week, Paul sent me a message and, much to my relief, he told me that he had enjoyed the book, and was not offended at all by my comments. He also said that there was a letter on the way from his solicitor, although he thankfully ensured me that this was a joke! 
Before finishing, I want to share some the lessons I learnt by writing the above passage: 
Football is a game of such emotion that it can encourage grown men into some very interesting touchline antics!
Anyone writing a book should be fully aware of the possibility that people may actually read it, and even those you may have written about!         
If Caernarfon Town ever have to travel to Gwalchmai for a match in the future, I can attend in the knowledge that I will not have to do so in disguise.
Paul Owen is passionate for the game, enjoys his banter and is a really nice guy! 
Much to my relief!!

Paul.      

No comments:

Post a Comment