Wednesday 18 March 2015

Just Like Watching Alan Brazil, Dicko’s Last Time and the Canaries Club Launch.
I am writing this blog entry for Harry, a Caernarfon Town supporter who twice last week reprimanded me for being inactive, and warned me to be sure I write two entries this week!
The subject of Caernarfon Town Football Club can pop up when you least expect it and I happened across such a scenario last week at Ysbyty Gwynedd.
Those who know me will be aware that I had a kidney transplant in 2009 and of course I am therefore required to attend regular appointments at both the Royal and Broadgreen Hospital in Liverpool, and renal unit in Ysbyty Gwynedd, where I had my dialysis six years ago.
The consultant who looks after me is a massive Liverpool fan (and why not?) and we always discuss the latest goings on at Anfield. Last week I gave him a copy of my Oval Ways book, by way of thanking him for everything he had done for me. To my surprise, the consultant turned to his assistant and asked if she knew where the Oval is situated. Much to my chagrin she replied in the negative, to which the consultant explained to her that to some people, the Oval is a famous cricket ground. However, to those who live in North Wales and have a passing interest in football, the real Oval is in Caernarfon, where the Canaries play!
I was impressed by his obvious appreciation of the finer things in life, and even more so when he continued by stating: “The Oval is where the supporters sing that watching their team is like watching Brazil!”    
I could not have described it better myself, although of course it has not always exactly been like this for us. In fact, if memory serves me right, I seem to recall this mantra once being uttered by one George Byrne, who managed Town for a thankfully short stint from January to October 1990. To be fair to our former manager he seemed proud to manage the club and obviously did his best but it seemed to me at the time that Mr Byrne was not short of confidence, and was certainly ready to talk to the local paper about how good his players were. Unfortunately, the only Brazil his team resembled was not that of the legendary Pele, Zico, Socrates and Rivellino variety, but rather that of the Alan variant when he played for Manchester United. All perm, little substance and disappointing results. In fact, the only thing that really stands out to me from Byrne’s time in charge was an incident involving his son, Paul, when he executed a full-blown rugby tackle on a passing striker. It was so fierce that JPR would have been proud of it and, come to think of it, JPR would probably have made a better defender for us than Byrne Junior.
This takes me nicely to the subject of rugby and the impressive way in which  Conwy Borough FC had promoted last saturday as an ‘event’ at their ground. They had posters outside and within the ground, advertising the Under 8’s match between the teams, and also that the clubhouse was open and BT Sport was showing live from 12pm. It also mentioned that the big rugby match between Wales and Ireland would be shown on the big screen for anyone who, for some reason, did not fancy the real match being played on the football pitch outside! In all seriousness, this is not something I see in many grounds, including ours if truth be known, and I hope their efforts were rewarded with increased revenue!
I also want to mention something I read on Conwy's official website. As Caernarfon’s Press Officer I am responsible or writing our match reports and, although I readily admit that they’re not of the highest quality, I always do try and give as fair and balanced an opinion as I can of the match. It is my opinion, however, that reports on some other clubs’ websites do not always credit both teams and some even have an edge of bitterness about them, if their team has lost. How many times have we read “Caernarfon can count themselves lucky to have won” or words to that affect?
Anyway, Conwy Borough’s report of Saturday’s match certainly does not fall under that category and I applaud the author and the team’s manager Aden Shannon for the generous words included in the piece:      
Aden Shannon "We gifted them three goals and you just can't do that with teams like Caernarfon as they will punish you. For me I think they are the best team in the league and have great quality going forward. I wish their outgoing manager Lee Dixon all the best in the future."
Classy stuff from a good club.
Just £5 to see Darren Thomas.
The past two days, I've enjoyed the snooker at Venue Cymru and it’s been excellent stuff! I’ve seen four matches lasting a total of ten hours over two days, and have seen the current World Champion and World Number One Mark Selby, and two former World Champions, Peter Ebdon and Shaun Murphy in action. I also had a photo taken with World Number Two Neil Robertson. And all this cost me was the princely sum of £10.50p! Seriously excellent value for money from World Snooker that again proves how much professional football is taking advantage of supporters with their overcharged and overhyped ‘product’. In fact, the only other place I can see world class talent for a fiver is at the Oval, where we can get to see Darren Thomas plying his trade! 

How the Chairman might look on saturday.
This Saturday is shaping up to be a memorable one for Caernarfon Town, with the visit of Caersws seeing Lee Dixon sitting in the Oval dug-out for the last time as manager of the Cofis. It hardly seems possible that three years have passed since Lee took over the hotseat, and what a wonderful time we’ve had since he joined us. The team was fifth in the Welsh Alliance League (Div 1) when the Board appointed and here we are, three years and five trophies later, and in second position in the Cymru Alliance. I will be looking at Lee achievements in more detail soon but suffice to say, he’s been brilliant for Caernarfon Town and if ever someone from Bangor can be called an Honorary Cofi, Lee is the one! I hope we have a brilliant turn-out and a victory, the Gaffer deserves it!
It will also result in the Chairman looking like this behind his desk!
The second significant occurrence at the Oval this Saturday is the launch of the Canaries Supporters Club. For more information about the launch and how to join the club, please follow this link to their superb new website: http://clwbcanariesclub.wix.com/clwb-canaries-club
Although this is the official launch, I know that the committee currently in place has been working extremely hard to put it all together in a professional and relevant manner. The Canaries have had representatives at the football club’s last two meetings and this is something the Caernarfon Town committee is keen to continue, so by joining the Canaries, it is guaranteed that the supporters’ voice will be heard.  
I was a member of the Canaries Club many years ago, and will be joining it again too. At £10 for a full membership and £5 for juniors, every supporter should seriously consider joining.
The Gaffer just wasn't sure who was sitting where....
There's still no news of Lee's replacement, with the committee having recently announced that they have entered the second stage of their recruitment process. Whoever is appointed has a hard job on his hands to follow Lee but at the very least I imagine he will be better than the Gaffer at co-ordinating the pre-season squad photo!
These are interesting times indeed at the Oval.
I hope you enjoyed it Harry!!  
Paul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment