Tuesday 2 June 2015

Nathan Craig on Torquay, Centre Midfield and Jamie McDaid.

Having taken a short hiatus, the blog returns with an exclusive interview with Nathan Craig.
Very recently, I had the good fortune of sitting down with Nathan in the hope of putting together an article for the Official Caernarfon Town website and, as always, he was happy to help, and answered  a host of questions relating to both his work as Head of the club’s Football in the Community project and his thoughts on the 2014/15 season.
The first part of the interview concentrated on the excellent Football in the Community work Nathan carries out and the feedback on the official facebook site was very positive.
I am therefore really pleased to publish the second part of the interview in which Nathan talks about last season, and football in general. Enjoy!
Question: What are your general thoughts on the 2014/15 season?
Nathan: My overall feeling is being gutted at finishing second in the league. I expected us to be challenging for the title and was pleased that we did but, looking back now, I feel that an indifferent run of form in January cost us the league. Those disappointing results meant we were then playing catch-up and we couldn’t quite manage to peg Llandudno back.
Q: What were your highlights of the season?
Nathan: The TNS match was special. To push the Welsh champions so close was a fantastic achievement and showed we are a good team that is capable of playing in the Welsh Premier League. The attitude we had before the match in the dressing room gave us the confidence to go out and take them on. We felt that there was no pressure on us and so were able to play our own game.  The day itself was very special for the club and the supporters. From the team breakfast at the Castle public house in Town to the brilliant supporters who created such a wonderful atmosphere and of course the television cameras being at the ground also added to the day. It was also nice to score on the day!
From a personal point of view, I was really pleased and proud to play every match, week in and week out, apart from a short period out after being sent off at the start of the season. Another personal highlight was scoring against Llandudno at the Oval as it was such a big match.
Q: Are there any low points to the season?
Nathan: Not winning the league, and also hearing that Lee was leaving. I was shocked when I heard the news he was stepping down. He was very god to me, and always sure that he game me confidence to play my game and he has done an excellent job at the club, winning all those cups and a league title. I wish him all the best in the future.
Q: Who did you vote for as your Caernarfon Town Player of the Season?
Nathan: I voted for Jamie McDaid because he finished top scorer, even though he missed six matches due to injury, and also didn’t join us until a month into the term. If Jamie had played in every match, we might be looking forward to the Welsh Premier League next season! I also had Grahame Austin and Paul Pritchard but decided on Jamie because you have to score goals to win matches.
Q: Which was the best team you played against in the league?
Nathan: That would be Guilsfield. They were compact and well-organised and very hard to break down. We beat them three times in four matches but never by more than one goal which proves how good they are. To think they are a village side and probably have limited resources I think they were the Cymru Alliance Team of the Year!
Q: Who was the best player you played against last season?
Nathan: Danny Barton. I remember watching Danny playing when I was very young and he’s still playing and scoring at a high level. He uses his body well and still knows where the goal is!

Not content on settling just on last season, I decided to ask Nathan about about his thoughts on a host of other football related matters, including his time at Torquay, his favourite position on the field and Caernarfon’s new manager.
Q: Everyone at the club is delighted you’re with us but from a personal point of view I definitely believe you are good enough for the professional game and the football league. What happened during your time at Torquay Nathan?
Nathan: The first season at Torquay went really well under Martin Ling and I was playing regularly. There were rumours at the time that a few clubs from higher leagues were looking at me. Unfortunately, Martin fell ill and left the club and the new manager, Alan Knill, brought his own players with him and once he arrived I was given very few opportunities in the team. Therefore, being given the chance to come back to Caernarfon was brilliant for me!
Q: I have often heard supporters asking why you were played mainly at left back last season, and would like to know where you think your best position is?
Nathan: Centre midfield is my favourite position as I would hopefully be able to dictate the play and get my team-mates playing football on the ground.  ! I am also comfortable playing Centre-Half, left back and left-wing but am more than happy to play wherever the manager wants me to.
Q: What are your thoughts on the new manager?
Nathan: I am really positive about the future for the team under Iwan. I have spoken a few times with him already and am very excited with his plans. He has already told me that we will be training hard and I can’t wait for pre-season to begin!
Q: Iwan has already announced that you will be his vice captain next season. How do you feel about this?
Nathan standing in the Hendre End at the Oval, where
he caried out ball boy duties as a youngster.
Nathan: I am honoured to be vice captain. I still remember being a ball boy at the Oval at the Hendre End so it’s brilliant for me to be playing for the team, and now to be the vice captain too!
Q: Have you seen any changes at the club since coming back last summer, compared to when you played for us four years ago?
Nathan: There has been a lot of improvement at the ground in recent years and the hard work has made the Oval look really good. I know there has been a lot of hard work behind the scenes, and the club is run much more professionally now. I also feel that the people of Caernarfon seem much more interested in the team these days and that’s good for the community as a whole.   
Q: Hopes for the 2015/16 season?
Nathan: Promotion! Caernarfon Town Football Club needs to be back in the Welsh Premier League and I want to be a part of the team that takes us there!
Q: You have just signed a new contract with the club. Does this mean you’re a Cofi for the rest of your career?
Nathan: You can never tell what is around the corner in football but I love it here, this is my club and I’ll always be a Cofi!
A massive thank you to Nathan for answering all the questions and for doing so in a very honest and forthright manner. It goes without saying that Torquay’s loss is very much our gain and I can’t wait to see where Iwan plays him in the team next season!
I’m hoping that this is the first of a series of interviews I’ll be publishing on the blog over the next few weeks so wish me luck as I contact a few people I believe will be able to provide something of  interest to Caernarfon Town supporters.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment