Tuesday 17 November 2015

Kevin Lloyd: No More The Maverick?

What is a maverick? 
The definition of the word in the Oxford Dictionary is ‘An unorthodox or independent-minded person’ whilst the online Urban Dictionary defines it as ‘Someone who refuses to play by the rules and isn't scared to cross the line of conformity.’ 
To me, maverick means someone who has an independent streak and is a bit of a rebel. It’s a word I have felt in the past perfectly sums up Kevin Lloyd. I first met Kev when he joined Caernarfon Town during the Summer of 2010 and had heard beforehand that he could be a somewhat surly character. I have personally not seen this side of him in the ensuing five years but he certainly had one or two interesting moments on and off the pitch during his first spell at the Oval. 
I loved his attitude on the pitch, where he refused to give an inch to the opposition and particularly enjoyed his constant banter with some of our rivals for the Welsh Alliance League during the 2012/13 season! 
Knowing how much he enjoyed playing for the team he and his family supports I was disappointed when he left the club not long after that promotion campaign but he’s done well since leaving and it’s been great seeing his success at Llanrug United, where he had an excellent goalscoring record. Of course, he added to his impressive goal return with a netfinder against the Canaries in the recent Welsh Cup tie at Eithin Duon and I think his impressive display in that match may well have helped earn him a return to the Oval. 
I mentioned in a previous blog entry that I’d have to ask Kev how he felt after scoring against Town that day and I’m pleased to say he was more than happy to answer that question and a host of others about his time at Llanrug, his unexpected return to the club and how he feels he’s changed since his first stint for the Cofis. 
O.W.:You had a successful stint at the club from 2010 to 2013 and were a part of many triumphs for the team. What are your highlights of that time? 
Kev: The highlight was winning the league in that treble season during Lee Dixon’s first season at the Oval. Winning the treble that term was brilliant but the league had been our priority and the club may not be where it is now had we not done it. Another highlight was playing under Clive Jones when the team was full of Caernarfon lads. 

O.W.: As a Caernarfon Town supporter it must have been hard for you to leave? Why did you decide to go to another club? 
Kev: I had not been playing regularly for the side and I just felt that things were not working out as well as I wanted. I wanted to play ninety minutes every week and enjoy my football again but felt I had to leave the club to achieve that. I went to Llanrug because I knew the players, and some of my friends were playing there, such as Dylan ‘Midge’ Owen and Darren Phillips. 
O.W.: How did it go at Llanrug, and what were your highlights whilst there? 
Kev: I had a great time there, scoring sixty seven goals in one hundred and one matches and we won the Cookson Cup and FAW Trophy during the time I was there. The FAW Trophy victory was my highlight there. It was a great day for the club and also for me personally as I scored two goals and was named man of the match. I also really enjoyed beating Holywell Town in the final of the Cookson Cup, which they weren’t too happy about! 

O.W.: How did it feel to score against Caernarfon in the Welsh Cup earlier this season? 
Kev: It felt nice to score, but also not so nice to score against Caernarfon. Since I’ve returned the players have given ‘Pritch’ some stick for that goal, so it’s all good now! 
O.W.: How did your return to the Oval come about? 
Kev: “Caernarfon put in a seven days notice to speak with me soon after the Welsh Cup tie and to be honest I was shocked! I had not expected to play for Town again and thought that the Welsh Alliance League was my level. Once Iwan came in for me I didn’t have to think about moving as there was no decision to make! To be fair to Llanrug manager Mark Jat he knew as soon as the approach had been made that I would be leaving and he was happy for me. My Dad is so pleased that I’m back which also means a lot to me.” 
O.W.: How did it feel to be back in the squad for the Buckley match? 
Kev: It felt brilliant to get on against Buckley (see photo, left) and the support the Cofi Army gave me when I ran onto the pitch was superb. I felt nervous to begin with but was fine once I got my first touch of the ball. I was gutted to hit the post because a goal would have been brilliant in my first match back, but the main thing was that the team won and we did, so it was a perfect return! 
O.W.: Did you know the manager before you signed? 
Kev: I knew Iwan only through having played against him over the years but had heard lots of positive things about him and have been impressed with how he’s doing things. He’s a really nice guy and I’m so pleased he’s given me this opportunity. I don’t want to let him down and will be doing my best for him and the club. 
O.W.: Have things changed at all since you left? 
Kev: I think things are being run more professionally. The training is really good and not at all like I’ve had before. We do lots of ball work, playing patterns and tactics and everyone is expected to turn up and take part. Iwan makes sure we work as a team in everything we do, such as going on the team bus together and attending team meetings to discuss matches and tactics. 
O.W.: The team has changed a lot since you were last here, what do you think of it? 
Kev: The squad has definitely been strengthened over the summer. I have played with Nathan, Grahame, Jamie McDaid, Pritch, Kev Bach and Darren before and so know how good they are and really the whole squad is very strong. Gareth Edwards has really impressed me, he speaks well and is very experienced, and Jamie Breese is a really good player with great workrate. I was really pleased to see Darren returning to the club last week because we’re friends and I never thought I’d get an opportunity to play in the same side as him again. 
O.W.: Has the Kevin Lloyd of 2015 changed much from the person who left the club in 2013? 
Kev: Yes, I’ve grown up a lot in recent years. My attitude is much better than it has been in the past and I now realise that it’s all about the team and not just about me. I’m part of a team here and understand and enjoy it. I don’t want to let Iwan, the players, the club and the supporters down and will work hard and do my best for everyone. 
O.W.: And finally, do you have a message for the Cofi Army? 
Kev: Yes, please carry on supporting us and hopefully we can win the league for you and get the club back to where it belongs! 

This is where the blog should end but, having stated at the beginning that I have in the past felt the word Maverick perfectly summed Kevin Lloyd up, I must say that I’m not too sure that it does these days. Yes, there’s still an edge to him on the pitch, and you can be sure that opposing defenders are still going to have their hands full when he’s about, but his answer to a question about his goals for the season suggests that he may no longer be the maverick and is very much more of a team player these days. 
Kev:“Winning the league is what we all want and, although I’m Cup tied I really want us to do well in the Welsh Cup. We haven’t done well in it recently and it would be great for the club for us to enjoy a good run in it this year.” 
A massive thank you to Kevin for answering all the questions before saturday's match at the Oval and although I'm sure he would much rather have been partaking in some banter with his team-mates, I hope he'll agree it was worth it. Diolch yn fawr Kev!

1 comment:

  1. Pob Lwc Kev a Diolch am yr holl goliau I Lanrug

    Cefnogwr CPD Llanrug

    ReplyDelete