Sunday 18 December 2016

It’s Everything I Expected. An Interview with Our Assistant Manager, Richard Owain Davies.

“When one of the biggest clubs in Welsh football gives you an opportunity to join them you have to take it…..”

When Iwan Williams told the Caernarfon Town Board during the summer that he was bringing in Richard Davies to further strengthen his management team I was both happy and surprised in equal measures. I knew of Richard due to his excellent record as manager of Penrhyndeudraeth so he definitely ticked all the right boxes but was surprised that one of our fellow clubs in the Cymru Alliance League had not decided to get him in as their manager. His achievements at Maes y Parc are very impressive and so my opinion then, and now, is that it’s a real coup for us as a club that he decided to join. 
I had not met him before he came to the Oval and I believe the only time we may have crossed paths would be during Penrhyn’s victory over the Cofis in a Mawddach Cup Semi-Final during the 2012/13 season. Although the tie was eventually won by Penrhyn on penalties after a 1-1 draw, if I’m totally honest they deserved to go through after an excellent performance, during which our former striker Matty Hughes had been almost unplayable. That defeat cost us a clean sweep of all the winnable cup competitions we had entered (Welsh Cup not included) in our treble season and was a massive disappointment at the time.
We obviously don’t get much opportunity to talk on match days and so, six months after he arrived I still didn’t know too much about our assistant manager. With this in mind I thought it would be nice to get together with Richard away from the Oval and ask him a few questions about his footballing background, experiences in the game and how he sees his first few months with Caernarfon Town. Luckily he was happy to take part in an interview for the blog, and I’m delighted to share it with you here.

OW: Can you give us a breakdown of your background in the game. Which teams did you play for?
Richard: “To be honest I haven't got much of a playing background, well not one that’s worth a mention anyway. I’m sure the lads will second this as I’ve got a season ticket for being in the middle of the circle in our warm-up! My previous clubs include Porthmadog, Nantlle Vale and Penrhyndeudraeth.”

OW: When did you decide that a managing career would suit you, and at which clubs have you managed?
Richard: “I started managing at the age of eighteen with Porthmadog Juniors. I began with the Under 14's and progressed with the same group to the Under sixteens and really enjoyed the experience. I was then offered an opportunity to join the Academy at Port and to also manage the Under sixteens. This gave me an insight into the more professional side of the game when compared to club football and from there I knew I wanted a future in the coaching side of the game. After a successful spell with the Academy which included winning the Welsh Academy trophy, I was given an opportunity to join Penrhyndeudraeth as assistant manager which I did for two years before making the step up to take the hot seat at Maes y Parc.”

OW: Who was the biggest footballing influence on you whilst growing up, and in what way?
Richard: “My biggest footballing influence whilst growing up would be my Dad. He gave me no choice in who I wanted to support and had me in an Everton kit before I could walk, and I wouldn't have it any other way! I was fortunate that there were a few of my mates around the same age that also had no choice and we were lucky enough that our dads would take us to Goodison Park once we were old enough.”

OW: Which team do you support, and who was your favourite player, both whilst growing up and now, and why?
Richard: “I support the pride of Merseyside, Everton! It's tough to pick just one favourite player when I was growing up but Big Duncan Ferguson and Neville Southall would be up there. Currently my best player would have to be Seamus Coleman for Everton and Gareth Bale for giving me an amazing time in France watching the Euros last summer.”

OW: I believe most followers of local football will know, or be aware of you, from your success at Penrhyn so can you tell us about your time there?
Richard: “I initially joined Penrhyndeudraeth as a player in Aug 2009 before becoming assistant manager to Gareth Piercy towards the end of the 2009/10 season and continued in that role throughout 2010/11.I took over as manager for the 2011/12 season and we achieved a lot together. In my first season at the helm we won the Gwynedd League, Gwynedd Safeflue Shield and Bob Owen Memorial Shield and followed that up a year later by winning the Take Stock Van Hire Cup. We were Welsh Alliance League Division Two champions, Take Stock Van Hire cup finalists and FAW trophy semi-finalists in 2013/14 and managed to reach the final of the FAW a tear later. Last season, we won the Mawddach Cup again.”

OW: Having enjoyed such a successful time with Penrhyn, what made you decide to join Caernarfon Town, and how did the move come about?
Richard: “The move came about when I received a phone call from Iwan asking if I fancied joining him and his coaching team as Gareth Parry had work commitments in Cardiff and would struggle to attend training sessions and some of the matches. I decided to take him up on the offer as it was a chance for me to step up to the Cymru Alliance and test myself. Although I was really happy at Penrhyndeudreath and had just won the Mawddach Cup, when one of the biggest clubs in Welsh football gives you an opportunity to join them you have to take it.”

OW: What knowledge did you have of the club and did you know any of the coaching staff and players?
Richard: “I knew Iwan and Gareth from the coaching staff and also some of the local players. I knew a lot about the club due to Iwan being manager and as we are good mates we regularly had chats on Sundays, asking how each others matches had gone. I have also had interest in the club from when Steven Smith (Psycho) was manager a few years ago. I know a lot of the supporters through following the Welsh national team away so whenever Penrhyndeudraeth didn't have a match I would sometimes drive to watch Caernarfon if they were at home.”

OW: What were your first impressions of the club when you joined, and has the club reached the  expectations you may have had?
Richard: “My first impression was everything I would expect from a club of Caernarfon’s size. The fan base is huge, probably one of, if not the biggest in the Welsh pyramid, and the professionalism shown by the lads in training and Iwan's preparation shows in the clubs success.”

OW: Was it hard to join the management team, bearing in mind last season’s success, and how have you adapted to being assistant manager after being in the manager’s seat with Penrhyn for so long?
Richard: “It was a bit daunting at start because of all the success last season but everyone within the club made me feel welcome from day one, for which I was grateful. Going from Manager to assistant was strange at first but I'm getting to know the league and I’m learning from Iwan so I’m really enjoying my time here and hope I can help the team emulate last season’s success.”

OW: Playing wise, is there a big gap between the Welsh Alliance and Cymru Alliance Leagues?
Richard: “Yes there is most definitely a gap playing wise, especially in the top half of the Cymru Alliance. I think the quality of the players is on a higher level and the fitness levels also but this is to be expected. I also think there’s a gap again between the best teams in the Welsh Premier League and some of the Cymru Alliance sides.”

OW: You’ve already mentioned you were aware of the club and players before you joined us and I was wondering if the quality in the squad matches what you had expected?
Richard: “I knew the quality in the squad was high but working with the lads on a weekly basis you get to see a bit more and they try things maybe they wouldn't in a game. I think what impressed me most was the accuracy of the long balls, the technique in striking the ball and bringing it under control.”

OW: It’s been a very good first half of the season for the team, what have been your highlights thus far?
Richard: “Highlight of the season so far, for me, is the victory at Porthmadog. It was a nice win as we hadn't really been playing well and had suffered a late equaliser against Denbigh followed by a home defeat to Prestatyn, so it was nice to get back to winning ways. And it’s great to have bragging rights at home! Flint away was a great victory also, to score six at such a tough place was a good day at the office. I think the most memorable win for myself would have to be the Holywell away game, to come back from 1-0 down at half time and show so much determination, character and desire to get back and win the game with only ten men was very satisfying to say the least.”

OW: Have there been any real ‘disappointments’ in your time at the club thus far?
Richard: “I was very disappointed when we were held to a draw in Denbigh especially to concede an equaliser in the ninety seventh minute after being in complete control on ninety minutes with a two goal lead. It was just one of them freak things in football. Then the next match was even worse as we lost to Prestatyn, so that was a tough two weeks. The only other real disappointment that stands out is the defeat to Rhyl in the Cup put I'm confident we can put that right in the Welsh Cup.”

OW: What do you think of the club’s supporters, and how much does it help the staff and players that there is such a strong following at both home and away matches? 
Richard: “The supporters at Caernarfon in my opinion are the best in the Welsh pyramid. I knew the team had a good following after watching them a few times last season but to be a part of the club and witness it home and away every week is quality and I know that the players and us coaching staff appreciate the support. I would also like to give the Clwb Caneris (Canaries Club) a mention and thank them for the hard work they put in behind the scenes. It is evident how much Caernarfon Town means to them.”

OW: Iwan has brought the ‘Un Clwb’ ethos to the club, do you think that everyone at Caernarfon Town is pulling in the same direction?
Richard: “Yes I definitely think that everyone is pulling in the same direction.  There is a certain buzz around the club from the Academy all the way to the first team and this includes the ladies teams, who are flying at the moment. I think that everyone working together is a credit to Iwan as he has everybody believing in him and his ‘Un Clwb’ ethos which isn’t an easy task to achieve. It takes a lot of hard work, long hours and determination to do this but with the effort being put in by everyone at the club from the Academy to the  groundsman, canteen staff, fans and the Board everyone wants the same thing as Iwan and that is to get Caernarfon town back where we belong, in the Welsh Premier League.”

OW: Who’s the biggest joker in the dressing room?
Richard: “There are a few jokers and characters in the dressing room but the top three for me would be Kev Bach, Gas and Joe Williams.”

OW: Who’s got the worst musical preferences in the dressing room?
Richard: “We have a playlist on Iwan's phone for which everybody had to choose a song for pre match, but I'm not sure who chose what sorry.”

OW: If you were manager of our current squad would you give Iwan a game?
Richard: “If I was the manager would I give Iwan a game? Ha, ha that’s a good question! He could certainly do a job and has played in a few positions over his career so would be a decent versatile player to have in the Squad. Iwan in his prime would get into my team but currently I think he would be on the bench. Sorry Gaffer!”

OW: Going forward, what do you think is a realistic target for the team this season?
Richard: “I think a realistic target for the season is to retain both the League and the League cup and get a good run in the Welsh Cup, which I know the fans would love.”

OW: Do you have a message for the Cofi  Army?
Richard: “My message to the Cofi Army would be keep up the great support and remember it’s a marathon not a sprint. Un Clwb.”

A massive thank you to Richard for taking the time to answer all the questions and especially for being so honest when asked about whether or not Iwan would get into his team! On a more serious note though, as a Town supporter I know that we’re in the fortunate position of having a very vibrant and dynamic management team and what excites me is the prospect of where they can take us.
It’s early days for Richard at the club but he has already proved to be another great signing by the manager!

Un Clwb.  

No comments:

Post a Comment