Monday 16 March 2020

The Jamie Crowther Interview. I Don't Want to Miss a Thing


When Sean Eardley phoned me in late January 2017 to say that he had a new signing to announce I'll admit that the name Jamie Crowther did not ring any bells. "Crowths will be a great signing for us Paul, he's a good player and will fit well into our dressing room." 
As Caernarfon Town's media officer I have the best job in the club (outside of playing in the yellow shirt) and obviously the most exciting part of it has always been sharing news of the latest additions to the first team squad. 
As I knew little of Jamie I decided to attend the team's training session that evening at the Shed in Colwyn Bay to meet him and carry out a video interview. The first thing I noticed is that, despite his new environment, he seemed confident, though not in a conceited way. And that's the way Jamie has remained, in and around the Oval. Over the past three years he has established himself as one of the mainstays of the side and, whilst he goes about his business in midfield in a quiet manner, and seems to me an unsung hero of our recent success, his rare absences from the side is usually felt immediately. 
I recently sat down with Jamie to discuss his time at the Oval and all things football. Here's the first of our two part interview....
  
Which teams have you played for, from school days to this season? 

Jamie: “This could be a long answer as I have had a few clubs! I first made my debut in what was then called the Welsh Premier league at the age of seventeen I think I was, for Cefn Druids. That season we were relegated as the following season was to be the first they made the league restricted to twelve teams. 

I then moved over to play in England and signed for Stalybridge Celtic in the Conference North, I spent a year at Wrexham then signed for Colwyn Bay when they were in the English pyramid in the Conference North. After two seasons there I then signed for Barrow AFC before moving to Connahs Quay Nomads in the January of 2015 where I was signed by Allan Bickerstaff. After a successful eighteen months there helping the club get into Europe I moved to Bala and had an unforgettable experience for them playing against AIK in Sweden in the Europa League. Unfortunately, that summer my little girl had to have an operation and after starting the season with the Lakesiders I didn’t play again until the January when I signed for Aberystwyth. I then spent a short time at Airbus before signing for Caernarfon in the January of 2018.” 

Have you always played in midfield and, if not, why did you move to midfield? Also, what is your preferred position? 

Jamie: “Yes, I have always played in midfield even from a younger age. A few managers have tried to get me to play at centre back over the years but, as Eards will tell you, I like to have a good moan when I play there!! No, I think as a player I can be quite flexible in the positions I can play and since signing for Caernarfon I think I have played in pretty much every position. I am just waiting for Eards to give me a chance to play up front now.” 

Who has been the biggest influence on your footballing career?

Jamie: “There have been quite a few influences on my football career and I think it would be hard to pick just one. When I was playing junior football I played for Holywell Town FC and joined Airbus academy at Under twelves under a coach called Anthony Wallis. At that age its more about keeping players involved in football because of fun and also he set the foundations really of me working hard to improve myself as a player. Some of the principles that Anthony installed in us as young players I now use in my own coaching environment. 

I played for Frank Sinclair at Colwyn Bay and he was massive for my career. He really trusted me even at a young age and helped me to develop massively as an individual in terms of understanding the game at senior level and more so just giving me an opportunity to play week in week out. When Andy Morrison came into Connahs Quay Nomads I obviously knew quite a lot about him from his time at Airbus but he totally changed the way that I looked at the game, probably more so my coaching but the detail and passion he had for the game was like something I had never experienced before. 

For numerous years before signing for Caernarfon I hadn't really been enjoying playing my football but Eards and Fish over the three seasons I have been here have got me enjoying playing again and if it wasn't for them I know I wouldn't be playing now. 

Finally my Dad, he was never a pushy parent but if I wanted to go out and practice he would always be willing and has literally drove me up and down the country as a young player and still comes to watch my games and support now.” 

Which professional team do you support?

Jamie: “I support Manchester United and, whilst we are going through a difficult period, I do think that Solskjaer is building the principles of Manchester United back into the club which have probably been forgotten since Sir Alex retired. I also as a kid would go and watch Wrexham and for a number of years myself and a few mates would go and support them home and away.” 

Who was your favourite player growing up? 

Jamie: “My favourite player growing up was David Beckham and, as a Manchester United fan, I would always have 'Beckham 7' on the back of my shirts. I would always be on the local park practising free kicks like him. Hopefully after reading this the management might let me take one in a game as I keep asking.....but while Nath is still sticking them into the top corner, like against Newtown, I might have to wait a little longer.“ 

Who is your favourite current player?

Jamie: “Even though I support Manchester United my favourite player at the moment is Jordan Henderson. He had some big boots to fill replacing Gerrard as captain but this season I think he has been exceptional and it shows a true test of character when he has had some serious critics in the past and now people are seeing what he gives the team. He is massively their unsung hero.” 

Eards welcomes Jamie to Caernarfon Town
What did you know of Caernarfon Town when you signed for us?

Jamie: “After playing against Caernarfon for Airbus in what was Eards first game as manager the one thing I did know about Caernarfon was their unbelievable support. We were 3-0 up at half time in that game but in the second half I just remember the Cofi Army behind the goal almost dragging the ball into the back of the net.” 

How did your move to the Oval happen?

Jamie: “That season I had played a few games for Airbus, I actually decided that I wasn't going to play that season but Airbus were struggling with injuries and ‘Shosh’ had asked would I come in and just play a few games for them which I did. Just before Christmas I stopped playing again as I just wasn't enjoying it and hadn't been enjoying playing for a number of years. For the first time in years I had Christmas off and enjoyed the time with my family with no football to worry about. In the January Caernarfon approached me and Eards asked if I would like to come in until the end of the year as a bit of cover as they were looking to win the league and get promotion back to the Cymru Premier.” 

Did you know Sean Eardley or any of his management team before you joined us? 

Jamie: “Yes I had known Eards for a number of years before signing for him. He actually coached me at the age of 16/17 while playing for North Wales Under 18's. Over the next few years we would actually coach against each other as he was working at Llandudno academy and me at Airbus academy. I would just like to say am not sure that in the games we coached against each other that he never beat me! I had never come across Fish before signing for Caernarfon but we have grown close and the work that the management team put in behind the scenes, and that includes Rhys, is really appreciated by all the players.” 

Jamie on his debut for the Cofis. 
Had you played with any of the players already at the club before, or knew some of them? 

Jamie: “Yes, I played with Gaz Evans when we were both at Colwyn Bay, he's not changed his game at all he still keeps crossing the ball out of play! I sort of knew quite a few of the lads having played against them really, Rambo I knew already from coaching, we actually did our B license together quite a few years ago. I have had a couple of nights out in Chester with Mike Pearson again many years ago when he lived in Chester with James Owen playing for Barrow. Hopefully we will soon have Peo back fit as I believe he's one of the best centre backs in the league.”

You made an instant impression on the team when you arrived, what do you remember of that first season with us? 

Jamie: “I think scoring two goals on my debut really helped me settle in with the squad and fans. I was more of a box to box midfielder when I first signed and chipped in with a few goals and assists that season. The one thing that really stood out to me in that first season was the culture at the club and it was like something I had never experienced before. Firstly was the bond between the players and the supporters and how passionate the fans are about this football club and how much they want them to succeed. But even in harder times they will still support the players as long as they see them working hard out on that pitch. Second, the changing room environment was great. Most players at that time had been together for a long period of good and bad times but the whole group made me feel welcome. The way the manager drove this, while we knew when to be professional we also knew when to have fun and this can be summed up by our end of season team night out. 
It was a fantastic night picking up the league trophy against Gresford at Airbus, and although we didn't win on the night we played really well. The support that day was fantastic as well, fans taking half days at work to make sure they could get down and support us. As players and staff we then went over to Manchester to celebrate which was all organised fantastically by Gaz Edwards. However the less said about that weekend the better, especially Gaz's train ticket situation that the players made a song about, and my initiation song 'Aerosmith, I Don’t Want To Miss a Thing' which was sang loud and proud after a day at Haydock races on an organised coach that we hadn't organised....”

The second part of our interview will be posted soon, and will include Jamie's thirteen man match day squad of the best players he's played alongside, his favourite, and least favourite matches for the Cofi, and Caernarfon's worst dressed player......in his view!



No comments:

Post a Comment