Wednesday 30 December 2015

Random Highlights of 2015 Part 1.

The past twelve months have been quite eventful for Caernarfon Town Football Club and I hope that through the blog I’ve been able to accurately describe what it’s been like following the club from my perspective as a supporter of the team and a member of the club’s Board. As 2015 comes to an end, the advent of 2016 also marks the blog’s first birthday and I thought it might be a good time to cast a glance back at the past year. However, rather than repeating what I’ve already said over the past thirty blog entries I want to mention some of the highlights and otherwise from where I’ve been standing, usually on the cold touchline, with my camera and note pad!
So, this was 2015, in a very random way, as seen from the Oval Ways Headquarters…. 
Favourite Goals.  
We’ve seen a few great goals scored by Cofi players in 2015 and, of course, Darren Thomas’ strike  against TNS would definitely have been amongst the front runners were it not for the fact that it  happened in late November 2014. However, I think it warrants at least a mention in this inaugural, and totally unofficial, celebration of Town’s best goals due to the fact that  I, and over 30,000 other people,  saw it on the big screens at half-time during the Wales v Belgium match in Cardiff City Stadium in June. What would Belgium’s national team have done for a similar strike from one of their strikers on the night? Anyway, my top three goals for 2015 are: 

Ywain Gwynedd’s bicycle kick strike against Llandudno at the Oval during our 3-0 victory. I know some of you will be thinking that an overhead kick by Yws was probably nothing special as the ball must only have been about three feet from the ground but to be fair to the Cofi Keegan, it was a wonderful finish and amongst the best I’ve seen at the Oval. I’m not sure if he scored again for the team after this one but if he didn’t it was a wonderful way to finish! (The photo on the right shows Yws celebrating his strike with Steve Lewis.) 
Jamie Breese’s winner against Denbigh Town this season. This may be a surprise to some but it’s here not just because it was an excellent finish but, just as importantly, the team and player himself needed it! After an impressive pre-season, the team had not gelled as well as everyone had thought, and one point in the first two league matches had given us all a reality check.
The teething problems had continued into the match at and, when the hosts took the lead early on, I had a feeling things were about to get worse. However, the players clicked into gear in the second half and when Gareth Edwards levelled, the match was set up for a late winner. Enter one Jamie Breese. The goalgetter had seemed a little frustrated in the previous matches but he came into his own on the night and bagged the points with a clinical finish. The photo (right) shows the winner going on and, in addition to proving my limits as a photographer, I hope it gives everyone an idea of what it looked like. One thing is for sure, the strike immediately seemed to lift the players and supporters and from that moment on, the team improved on a weekly basis. 
Nathan Craig’s free kick against Denbigh at the Oval just before this Christmas. I was sitting behind the goal when Nathan’s effort flew into the top corner of the onion bag and was stunned by the strike. The keeper didn’t move and when two well-respected football people told me after the match that it was the best free-kick they had ever seen, then you just know it was something special! I spoke to Nathan afterwards and he told me that he was aware of the direction of the wind and just decided to hit the ball as hard as he could and hope for the best! I’m sure there was more to it than that but, as everyone will know, Nathan is one of the most modest people around and he seemed somewhat embarrassed by being congratulated on the strike! There is a video of the goal somewhere on facebook and it's well worth seeing! I don't have a photo of the goal, but do have one of Nathan standing at the end he scored, obviously checking the Oval angles last Summer and making plans for this season!   
If pushed for a favourite out of the three, my pick would have to be Nathan’s free kick. Absolutely top class!
Iwan Williams masterminded an impressive victory
over Bangor with a threadbare squad. 
Favourite Moments.
Two moments that stand above all are the Word Cup victory at Bangor and the return of Darren Thomas to the club. Rather predictable choices I’m afraid but equally understandable in my opinion.
Playing Bangor City is always a massive occasion and being drawn away in the Cup was a big match for everyone connected to the club. Let’s be honest about this, there is no love lost amongst supporters of the clubs and this has not been helped by the fact that the Citizens have had plenty of success in recent years whilst we have been through a very tough time until three years ago. Add this to the fact that they are our nearest rivals, then any victory over them is always more than welcome! That
Iwan welcomes Darren Thomas back to the Oval.
we deservedly beat them on their own ground, and with a threadbare squad was very sweet indeed!  
The other high-point has been the return of Darren Thomas to the Oval. I was gutted when he left for Aberystwyth in the summer but as thrilled as everyone else when he decided to come back and help us push for promotion. In my opinion, Darren is the most exciting player in Welsh non-league football and it was a real coup to get him back in the yellow shirt.      
Favourite Photo. 
Firstly, I don't think I need to explain that I’m not a photographer and most of the shots I take during matches are dreadful. In fact I would guess that the area's best photographer, Richard Birch, gets more good photos during one match that I have been able to get in the last five years but I console myself in the knowledge that mine are better than nothing! Every now and then, though, I do manage a decent shot and my favourite from 2015 is when I captured the ball on its way into the net from Nathan Craig’s boot against Llandudno in February. When even Mr Birch says it’s a decent photo, then I have to be happy! 
My favourite photo from 2015 as Nathan scores yet another cracker,
this time against Llandudno in a 3-0 victory last february.

Well, that's it for now and I hope that one or two of my choices have brought back some good memories for Caernarfon Town supporters. If not, then maybe I'll pick something that does in the second part of my random highlights from 2015, which I'll be posting soon. 
Paul. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice comments enjoyed reading your blogs over the year and hope you continue to keep us informed into 2016,agree with your comments on Nathans goal we were slightly left of the post as I told my lad if he misses this it will take your head off glad it swept around the wall inside the post and hit the net. Great goal.

    ReplyDelete