Saturday 26 December 2015

Three Keepers and Ellis Healing at Centre Half?

Friday’s night’s impressive victory over Denbigh Town at a wet and blustery Oval is the only place to start this time around. I mentioned in the last blog that, after an excellent run of results, Denbigh had suffered three successive defeats, including two 1-6 reverses. Despite this, I think most spectators would have expected a tough battle against Gareth Perry Thomas’ side and this is how it panned out in the first half.
Playing with their backs to the wind I felt the Canaries struggled to get into their usual playing style and, despite leaking fourteen goals in three matches, the visitors’ rearguard looked solid enough. With most of the balls played to Jamie Breese either falling into the hands of keeper Elliot Power or sailing out of play (due to the wind, and not the players ability I should point out) I felt we might have had to settle for a point on the night. However, when Darren Thomas managed to sneak a goal late on it would at least give the team something to hold on to in the second period and, as Town have the league’s best defensive record I suddenly felt there would be every chance of us getting the points.
And then, the second half happened! We scored six more goals. Against the wind. And it could have been more!
Considering the difficult conditions, heavy rain and blustery wind, I would go as far as to say that the Cofis’ performance after the break was amongst the best I’ve seen in many a year. Once Nathan Craig doubled lead with a simply outrageous free kick it was game over for the visitors, who seemed to lose heart immediately. It was a five star performance from Caernarfon from then on and an excellent way to finish their home fixtures for the year. Nathan’s free kick was the highlight for me, followed closely by Kev Lloyd’s goal. Kev had not scored since returning to the club in October and I think it’s fair to say that everyone was as desperate as he was for him to find the net. He has played well since coming back and been praised by the manager for his performances and it was brilliant to see him score again in the yellow shirt. His celebrations spoke volumes about how much it meant to him and it was good to see all his team mates celebrating so much with him. In fact, Grahame Austin rolled back the years (about ten in my opinion!) to sprint the length of the pitch to congratulate Kev, although he did struggle on the way back for the restart! 

I had been looking to get hold of Iwan before the match for a photo and although he is always approachable and helpful I often find it quite awkward to do this on matchdays as the manager is always the busiest man in the ground before kick-off. Having held a team meeting beforehand in the Boardroom I was aware that time was particularly short and so I’m sure being asked to pose with a Santa cap and beard for a photo was the last thing he wanted. Thankfully, he was as accommodating as always and, judging by the response the shot has had on social media, I hope he’ll agree it was worth doing! Iwan comes across to me as being a progressive manager who is always looking at ways of improving the team but I’m not sure that the formation he was looking at for the Denbigh match would have
Healing at Centre Half? 
suited the players. Three goalkeepers with Ellis Healing at centre half is definitely an interesting idea but I’m pleased he decided to stick with a more orthodox line-up!
Before moving on I must mention Darren Thomas’ celebrations after his third goal. Darren is not usually prone to bouts of excessive showmanship and so it was quite a surprise to see him stop suddenly after his netfinder before suddenly completing a forward tumble and ending on his back. It all looked particularly innovative and quite unlike Darren until I realised that he was, in fact, suffering from cramp.
Cramp or an elaborate goal celebration?
He received plenty of help from his team-mates but I noticed that this time Grahame Austin decided against another full pitch sprint towards a team mate!
Which brings me nicely to the annual Dave Jones Football Awards. I have enjoyed reading Dave’s end of year summaries over the years and was delighted, and proud, to be included in this year’s list, as Best Press Correspondent. Last year, Dave named Oval Ways and Treble Days as his book of the year, so it was nice to be named again in the list and get Caernarfon Town amongst some very big hitters. I was not alone either, as Grahame Austin was given the ‘Evergreen Award’ and Iwan was named as the ‘Manager to Watch’. Both deserve their recognition more than I do although thankfully Dave did not see Grahame taking an age to return to his own half after congratulating Kevin on his goal as he may have had second thoughts! On a serious note, I feel very proud to be part of the list and look forward to one day catching up with Dave, who is such a vital part of the grassroots game in North Wales.
Those who read my last blog entry, titled ‘A chameleon car and state of the art lawnmower’ may recall that I mentioned the gift made by the Football Association of Wales to Bangor City of pitch covers and a state of the art lawnmower. Not long after I posted the blog I received a tweet from the FAW’s Head of Competitions, Andrew Howard, who pointed out the equipment had been paid for out the Welsh Premier League broadcast money and not from the FAW’s budget. This had not been made clear in the newspaper article I had read, which included a quote from FAW Secretary Gwyn Derfel, but my point remains unaffected, being that the equipment was bought for a club that enjoys big gates, and therefore decent gate receipts. Gwyn Derfel stated that the FAW needs to assist clubs with grass pitches which is good, but it was not too long ago that they gave the same club £350,000 to spend on a 3G pitch, as part of a scheme to improve playing surfaces in Wales. I gather this 3G pitch is used for training purposes by the Academy, which is brilliant, although I’m not sure if the first team use it? I’m certainly not criticising the Citizens but do believe it’s a shame the FAW can find money from one pot to help one of the biggest clubs in North Wales whilst smaller outfits, and particularly those in the lower leagues, are finding it almost impossible to improve their facilities. As I pointed out to Mr Howard in my reply on twitter, if the FAW can use the broadcast money in this way, it may be a good idea to look at trying to secure television coverage for matches at more of a  grass roots level.         
It’s been brilliant seeing photos on social media of supporters wearing the Caernarfon Town kits Father Christmas has brought them this year. Judging from the shots, Jamie Breese and Kevin Lloyd have been popular choices although I think we may well be seeing a few shirts around town in the next few weeks bearing the numbers three and ten, those usually worn by Nathan Craig and Darren Thomas respectively.
Finally, I just have to include a photo of this year’s best Caernarfon Town Christmas jumper. I’ll keep the very happy recipient of this Christmas gift to myself for now but whoever designed it is a true artist!        

     

No comments:

Post a Comment