Tuesday 21 April 2020

Gruff John Part 2 of the Big Interview


Firstly, thank you to everyone who has got in touch to say how much you enjoyed the first part of the Big Interview with Gruff John. It’s amongst the best feedback I’ve had with regards to the blog and it was interesting to see former players and managers tweeting negative thoughts on Gruff and the interview over the past few days. I think it also says a lot about how well respected he is in local circles.
The only thing I asked Gruff to do when carrying the interview out was to go into as much detail as possible and I’d like to thank him for taking the time to do just this. I hope you enjoy reading this second and final part of our interview……..

Did you know Huw before he joined us in January and what do you think he brings to the management team? 

Gruff: “I've played against his sides in the past and they've always been tough games so I was excited when I heard he was joining the management team. His experience instantly showed in his training sessions and there's been more focus on shape and discipline within positions since he's come in. As a defender I've enjoyed his focus on shape and aggression against opposition. He's got stuck in with the lads right from the first training session which is great. From the training sessions and games we've had over the last couple of months it's obvious that the management team all gel together really well, which obviously is positive for the players to see.”  

What are your three favourite matches for Caernarfon Town and why? 


Gruff: “The first game of the season in TNS has to be one. It was my first game for the Cofis and I was excited and a little bit nervous to be in the starting eleven against arguably the best team in the league. I had a chat with Eards before the game and I knew what my job was. We played a good game and were unlucky to come away without a point. I learned a lot from this game to take forward for the rest of the season. The second has to be the home game against TNS, but winning this time. It was a massive team performance and every player gave their all. The celebrations with the Cofi Army at the end was also memorable. The third game has to be when I scored my first goal of the season against Barry Town at the Oval. I was frustrated after giving a penalty away but knew I had to make up for it, which is what I did by scoring my first goal in front of the Cofi Army to make it 2-1. I think that this gave us the extra push to score the other goals and win the game 4-1.” 

Which one match would you prefer to forget as a Caernarfon Town player? 

Gruff: “The game I would like to forget is the away game against Cardiff Met. We weren't getting any decisions off the ref and we were getting frustrated all over the pitch. I then received a red card, which I still think was the wrong decision by the ref and a yellow card at a push! And to top it off we lost.”

Having made the step up from the Cymru Alliance to the Cymru Premier, what do you think are the main differences between the leagues?

Gruff: “One of the main differences are the grounds/pitches. Obviously in this league there are more 4G pitches and better facilities around the grounds for the players and the supporters. Another difference is the speed and fitness within the game which took some time to get used to! The preparations with tactics and stats before games is a difference that I've enjoyed this season. This makes a huge difference on the pitch and I can say that it makes a difference to my overall game and enables me to improve my game.” 

Who do you think is the side's unsung hero?

Gruff: “I'd have to go with Ryan Williams. Every game he does his job and does it well. He's brilliant and calm on the ball and reads the game well. Over the last part of the season we developed a good partnership at centre half. We are definitely getting used to playing with each other and the Welsh 'Cofi communication' works well!” 

Name a starting eleven, and two subs, of the best players you've played alongside in your career thus far? 

Gruff: “GK - Richard Harvey, he was there when I started with Porthmadog and helped me a lot as a defender with his experience and he's a legend! RB -  Adam Hughes, I played with him from when we were young lads in Bethel to u18s at Caernarfon and he's always been a good player but he's been very unlucky with injuries so has never had a chance in the higher leagues unfortunately. CB - Iddon Price, a very quick and solid defender. I played alongside him many times with Port and not many strikers got passed. CB - Ryan Williams, like I said in the earlier question he's a very calm and clever player, I look forward to having more games alongside him at the centre of defence.  LB - Gwion Dafydd Williams, I used to play with him at Bangor and Bethel and he had a brilliant left foot on him. He had no fear in games and would go through anything in front of him. CDM - Dion Donohue, he just makes it look so easy and somehow has more space than anyone else on the pitch, yes he's a hothead but when he plays at the top of his game there's no stopping him. CM - Ifan Emlyn, I played with him last season for the first time and I just thought that his passing ability with that left foot of his was sublime and just needs some experience behind him to be a top player. CM - Leo Smith, like we all know he's a class act and his quality on the ball with his dribbling ability and vision is superb. He has to be up there with the best I've ever played with. CAM - Alex Jones, the best first touch from players I've played with and was very skilful, I think he had a brief period at Caernarfon but I think he plays futsal by now. I'd love it if he came back to play.  ST - Jamie McDaid, I've played with Jamie
in around eight different teams! He was there when I played for Wales and Welsh schools and has always been a part of the teams I've had success with, very good on the ball and a natural finisher. ST - Darren Thomas, I played with Daz at Port for a while and I thought he would have maybe slowed down a bit when I came to Caernarfon, but he's still as fast and sharp as he was and scores screamers for fun, the most naturally gifted player I've played with. Sub - Carl Owen, when I started at Port he was the no.9 there and he was such a good finisher, I learned a few times in training that I had to battle hard with him to have any chance of getting the ball. Sub - Grahame Austin, a powerful and commanding defender. Played with him at Porthmadog and I always looked up to him as a young lad. He was strong in the air and was always vocal on the pitch which helped me a lot when starting with Port.” 

Who has the best dress sense in the Caernarfon Town dressing room?
Gruff: “I'll have to go with Leo Smith, he always turns up to trainings or games in different and new shoes and I always like them, it's just a shame he's got size 4 feet! He always looks good on a night out as well, makes sure everything's perfect and that all the lads smell good before we go anywhere with his crazy, massive selection of aftershaves!”

Who has the worst dress sense in the dressing room?

Gruff: “It's between Brads and Sammy. I think Brads has rips in everything he wears, I don't understand why he doesn't wear normal jeans. I haven't actually seen enough of Sammy to say for definite but I'm not a big fan of the sliders he wears in the showers and he does like some flashy stuff so I'm expecting the worst with him!”

What’s your favourite film?

Gruff: “I have a few, I enjoy thrillers but with some comedy in there as well! I'd probably say that the The Dark Knight is my favourite just because Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker is so good. I also enjoy watching stuff like Shutter island, Law abiding citizen and The Green Mile and some comedies like Anchorman and Step Brothers. So as you can probably tell I enjoy watching movies but yeah, I'll go with The Dark Knight as my favourite!”

Other than the Oval, which is the best ground in the Cymru Premier League and which is the best in the Cymru Premier League?

Gruff: “The best ground that I went to this season and the best day out I've had would probably be Camarthen. I'd never played there before and the 4G was actually quite nice to play on. I was obviously a bit disapointed to be starting on the bench but I came on in the last twenty minutes and we were down to ten men,  made a saving headed clearence that started the attack for the last minute winner from Cai Jones. I remember that I was buzzing in the clubhouse after and there was a good feeling after the match with the lads over a curry and a pint!”

Who has been your hardest opponent, both player and team?

Gruff: “We've had a lot o tough games this season. Newtown and Connahs Quay away were both tough games with bad results but my toughest game would have to be my first league game against TNS. Like I said in a previous question I was nervous and excited at the same time but at the end of the game I was absolutely knackered, physically and mentally. I had to be so focused throughout the game and the biggest reason for this was Jamie Mullen. I had watched clips of him and knew he was a skilful, quick and a punishing attacker so I had to be on the top of my game. I'll be the first to admit that at times in that game I had no idea where he was, his movement and pace was unbelievable. I did my best to stop him from punishing us and I believe I succeeded for most of the game but I knew after that game that I had a lot to work on and a lot to learn to play against this type of player from week to week. It definitely made me more determined to improve and develop for the Welsh Prem but it was a tough first test.”  

Grass pitches or 4G, and why?

Gruff: “Grass pitch all day for me! I always look forward even more to our home games knowing that we play on the Oval, the pitch always looks brilliant and I feel playing on a grass pitch brings more drama with it, with the weather and other things affecting the pitch. It’s always nice to get a good tackle in and being covered in mud and not cuts and burns.”

Welsh Cup or Cymru Premier League, and why?

Gruff: “I enjoy a good cup run so it'll have to be the Welsh Cup. There's so much history that goes with the cup and I've always enjoyed playing in it. The cup brings an excitement with it and no matter who your opponent is, it's always going to be a tough game. Every game can be different and it challenges our team's ability to play against different styles of play which I enjoy being part of. We've had a good run in the cup this season and the last round was a great game against Cefn Druids where we showed what we are all about in the second half. I don't think we know yet what's happening with the Welsh Cup this year but I do feel we could have gone all the way with the performances we've had in the competition so far.”

You’re manager of Caernarfon Town’s five a side team for the day. Who would you choose in the team?

Gruff: “Tough choices here because the quality in the squad is so high. I'd put Rambo in goal with Fish a close second (he thinks he's a great keeper in training at times!). I'd have Nathan Craig at the back - big tackles, good passing and could strike it from anywhere. I'd have Ryan Wills and Leo Carlos in the middle - quality on the ball, skilful, good passing and understand each other well with the lovely bond they've got. I'd put Daz up top - skilful, quick, gets a tackle in when needed and a top quality finisher!” 

And finally, do you have a message for the Cofi Army? 

Gruff: “I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of the fans for the great support we've had this season. There have been some games were that extra support we've got as a club has pushed the lads to get the results we needed! Also, as it was my first season with the Cofis I want to thank all the fans for the welcome I've had and that I felt a part of the club straight away when it was announced that I had signed. That meant a lot and made it so much easier to get going. I've enjoyed seeing some of the fans around Town and having a chat with them and finding out what they think of the games and performances. I know a lot of the fans and it feels good to be a part of this club again.
It's a tough time we're in at the moment and our health is the most important thing, I can only hope that we get through this period as soon as possible so we can all get back to our normal lives and enjoy our football down at the Oval again as the Cofi Army sing in the background.
So, stay safe and thank you for all the support! Diolch yn fawr a welai chi gyd yn fuan!”



No comments:

Post a Comment